Integrating Hubdoc with your Quickbooks Online and Bill.com accounts is the best way to automate and streamline your accounts payable workflow. How?
Hubdoc’s integration with Bill.com and Quickbooks Online are proven to save time, but it is important to carefully assess the workflow to maximize the effectiveness of using the three apps together.
Determining which payables workflow to use is as easy as distinguishing bills between paid and unpaid:
- Unpaid / to-be-paid - These will go through Hubdoc -> Bill.com -> Quickbooks Online
- Paid - These can go straight from Hubdoc to Quickbooks Online
In both workflows, make Hubdoc the starting point for all your clients’ documents. Hubdoc will reduce the time spent collecting and manually processing those documents by extracting the key data for you.
Flow 1: To-be-paid, HD → Bill.com → Quickbooks Online
Once the document has been processed in Hubdoc and published to Bill.com, these bills will skip the Bill.com 'Inbox' and go straight to the approval stage, with the source document attached. Not only will the bills be stored in Bill.com, but syncing Bill.com to Quickbooks Online will then create the expense entry for you.
Let’s look at this Comcast bill fetched by Hubdoc. Our data extraction will extract the vendor name, date, and total amount, and use that information to accurately transfer the details to the Bill.com Approval window.
1. Click on a bill in the document stream and open up the Edit Data Bar on the right-hand side
2. Review the data that has been extracted in Hubdoc (Vendor Name, Date, Total Amount) and scroll down the Edit Data Bar to begin configuring the vendor rules. Select
'Publish'. This determines how the bill will appear in Bill.com.
Note that bills that pushed into Bill.com first, do not need vendor rules configured for Quickbooks Online. This will ensure that transactions are not duplicated.
3. Log in to Bill.com and take a look at the Payables awaiting approval.
4. Click on the Bill to view the summary.
5. Once the bill has been approved in Bill.com, export the transaction to Quickbooks Online to create the transaction entry. The transaction will then 'Match' with the corresponding line item on the bank feed.
To supercharge this process, head into the 'Manage Accounts' tab and configure rules for Bill.com for any recurring vendor bills and invoices that you would like to send to Bill.com for approval. Take automation a step further by selecting 'Auto-Sync' as well to automatically send bills to Bill.com.
Note: If you would like the source document to live in Quickbooks Online, attached to each transaction, you can send unpaid bills to Quickbooks Online and let Bill.com update the status of the transaction as "Paid". Using "Flow 1", source documents will not transfer from Bill.com to Quickbooks Online. See this help desk article on source documents in Bill.com and Quickbooks Online.
Flow 2: Already paid, HD → Quickbooks Online
Documents Attached to Transactions in QBO
While all document types can be fetched and uploaded into Hubdoc, only unpaid bills or invoices should be published into Bill.com for further handling. For documents corresponding to transactions that have already been paid, such as receipts, credit memos, and invoices, Hubdoc can automatically fetch or process uploaded documents to be published to Quickbooks Online.
Quickbooks Online is then able to detect whether these source documents match transactions in the bank feed, giving you an option for a one-click ‘Match’ to quickly and easily reconcile your books. Plus, your source documents from Hubdoc will be attached to those reconciled transactions, audit-proofing you and/or your client’s books!
Let’s look at an example with a monthly Netflix bill. This credit card has been set to auto-pay and does not require any additional approvals or actions to process the payment. Therefore, we don’t need to send this statement into Bill.com.
1. Click on the document in Hubdoc and then click on the Edit Data bar on the right-hand side.
2. Review the data that has been extracted in Hubdoc (Vendor Name, Date, Total Amount) and make any necessary adjustments to the amount such as Tax.
3. Scroll down to the ‘Destinations’ heading and configure how you would like it to be published in Quickbooks Online. Note that because this statement is on autopay and does not require any further approvals, we do not need to configure anything for Bill.com. This will help ensure there are no duplicates.
4. Scroll down the Edit Data Bar to begin configuring the vendor rules and select
'Publish'. This determines how the bill will appear in Quickbooks Online.
Note that bills that have already been paid do not need vendor rules configured for Bill.com. This will ensure that transactions are not duplicated.
5. Click ‘Publish’. Your bill will now get published to Quickbooks Online with the source document attached!
To supercharge this process, head into the 'Manage Accounts' tab and configure rules for Quickbooks Online for any recurring vendor bills and invoices that you would like to send to Quickbooks Online without first going through Bill.com. Take automation a step further by selecting 'Auto-Sync' as well to automatically send bills to Quickbooks Online.